Sunday 20 November 2022

Feeling Overwhelmed

 Gosh, it's been more than two weeks since I last posted on here.  During that time, I have been feeling quite overwhelmed by life and fit for nothing.  The news depresses me with constant footage of the war in Ukraine, the energy crisis and talk of strikes. Even nurses are now threatening to strike before Christmas.  On the news was a couple with a small child complaining that they are worried about affording things now that they will pay more tax after April 2023 due to the Autumn statement.  She is a nurse and her partner a 'health care worker'.  They have a joint income of over £80,000....WTF 😏  The people I feel sorry for are simply not in that income bracket.  I still worry about the people of Ukraine, about worldwide disasters, climate change, abused children, people not being able to eat healthily or warm their homes, the homeless.  The list goes on and I feel so helpless.

On the home front, my Sister is struggling to look after her husband on her own at home.  He has had several strokes, is now incontinent, on loads of medication and keeps falling down.  She lives in Suffolk so is too far away for me to help her.  She is desperate for respite and can't get it. They are both 83 years old.

On a personal level, I feel that our social lives have just withered away.  Each day is more or less the same.  The highlight of our week is either a trip to the supermarket for a forgotten item or a visit to the garden centre, taking sandwiches and eating them in the car as it's now so cold!  I can't get G to plan anything as he's in constant pain with his neck and shoulders and he can't drive for more that 30 minutes without making the pain unbearable.  Even as a passenger, he doesn't travel without more pain setting in. I can't see us having a holiday again, ever, and I feel our lives are over.

OK whinge finished...sorry.... 😌

One miserable, rainy day last week, I drove us to the garden centre and I treated myself to a lovely, planted arrangement for my table.  For just £14.99 it will give me pleasure to look at it every morning whilst eating my breakfast.




Frugal Things:

The central heating thermostat has been set to a default 15 degrees C so it will only click on if the temperature drops very cold during the night.  We are so lucky to have a well insulated bungalow so that it usually stays above that even during the coldest months.  Whoever gets up first in the morning can then turn it up if needed.  At the moment, the lowest the temperature has been on rising is 17 degrees.  We have been putting the heating on for a short time (maybe half an hour) during the evening whilst sitting watching TV but it warms up quickly and retains the heat until bedtime.

In order to do our bit for the country and to stave off potential power cuts, I'm avoiding the use of appliances during peak times of 4pm to 7pm, even though our supplier is not one of those paying consumers to do so.   I use the washing machine in a morning after 10am, dishwasher at the same time, only when absolutely full and the oven at lunchtime rather than evening, although I try to use the microwave instead whenever possible.

Reasons to be thankful:

We have already received two Government payments of £66 towards energy costs

My little 12 year old car passed it's MOT with flying colours so the cost was just £48. Yay!

The sun is shining this morning!

Thanks so much for popping in and listening to me moaning.  Stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x


19 comments:

  1. courage , nous sommes nombreux à partager les mêmes soucis pour la famille et le reste de l'humanité mais nous sommes forts on va parvenir à passer cette mauvaise passe .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup pour tes mots gentils, Lucette. Oui, nous devons rester forts x

      Delete
  2. It's no wonder you are feeling helpless, the health issues make everything 10 times worse.
    Can your husband get any pain relief to take now and again when travelling?
    Love the planter full of colour, there are some lovely colours of cyclamen around. I got one from a charity shop that sells plants sometimes - very dark red. I stood it on my parents- in-laws grave where I also put the remembrance cross for Colin. I'll bring it home and plant it later if it survives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, but no, nothing takes away the pain completely. Very strong painkillers only take the edge off for a short time. He's only pain free when he's asleep.
      That's a lovely idea to plant your cyclamen at home later, you will somehow have shared the joy with loved ones.

      Delete
  3. You are being hard on yourself - I think there are very few of us who, at times, do not feel overwhelmed about current events. I've been a 'news-junkie' for decades but I'm afraid now I ignore all I can - knowing the latest headlines will not change anything in the big picture but sure as heck can make me feel despondent for a few hours.

    Well done for your small wins - an MOT pass is always something to be cheerful about. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what to say that doesn't sound trite or glib but I'm sorry you're feeling the way you do right now. Thank you for your honesty and for still being able to find things to be grateful for to share here. Bless your faithful little car.
      Cyclamen are lovely plants for this time of year. I hope yours flowers for many weeks and makes you smile. Love and hugs x

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jayne and Beverley, for your kind and wise words. I'm trying not to watch so much news coverage at the moment until I feel a bit more resilient x

      Delete
  4. Would a good chiropractor help your husband. My husband went from physiotherapist to physiotherapist for shoulder and neck pain for years with no improvement but when we went to our chiropractor the relief was amazing. It can be painful during the treatment but so worth it. I know unsolicited medical advice can be annoying but I thought it was worth saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Jessica, I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, hubby has cervical torticollis and has tried all sorts of therapies to no avail. Even the hospital has dismissed him as untreatable. They try to give him anti-depressants as well as strong painkillers but nothing helps. He was told by the hospital consultant " you will just have to learn to live with the pain" :0/ I sometimes feel desperate on his behalf.

      Delete
  5. Yes great on passing the MOT. That must have been a relief. So sorry that your husband is in so much pain.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you feel. The news is horrific, I think I was much happier when I was younger and unaware of the danger and crime. Now I feel obligated to keep up, but it is so upsetting. So sad that your husband is in such pain. Can you do any Zoom meetings for social connection? I chat with some of my friends on the phone, and it really helps. I love your plant. It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Stephenie, it's somehow better not to know about these things.
      Regarding Zoom: my two best friends are not computer savvy and wouldn't consider Zoom, and there simply is no-one else. I do ring one friend quite often but she has her own problems with her husband being blind so I don't feel I can burden her with mine. I text my Brother and Sister but they too have issues so I can't unburden my soul to them either. This is why my bloggy friends bear the brunt of it! ... lol...

      Delete
  7. It's no wonder so many of us are feeling so overwhelmed at the moment, there is little any of us can do to make the big picture any better. I just try to concentrate on the smaller picture and do what I can to help myself and those around me. Avoiding the news at all costs works for me at the moment, it may be a bit 'burying my head in the sand' but when my sanity is at stake I'm all for part of me being underground for a while.

    Like your things that you're thankful for, one thing I have been doing for the past two weeks is starting and ending my days with three things that I am grateful for. I simply say it out loud in bed before I go to sleep and as soon as I wake up, it's supposed to be good for re-programming your brain to look for the good. It seems to be working if I'm honest and now I wonder why I thought it was all 'silly' for so long. I'm most likely at least a couple of years behind everyone else for 'gratitude' thingys, but heck ... I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help to think of the good things, doesn't it Sue. I'm trying now to focus on them rather than the depressing news we have on both TV and radio. I refuse to buy any newspapers as well.
      Good for you for 'zoning out' I need to follow suit!

      Delete
  8. That beautiful, colourful pot of plants is such a cheering sight. We are having such very strong winds that anything free-standing in my garden would fet blown away, so my own little treats are enjoyed in a vase in my living room . . . Each week I add a bunch of Roses to my Sainsbury's weekly grocery delivery - at £3 a bunch they lift my spirits so much. This week, it's deep red roses - can't select the colour but I hope for yellow ones next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love roses, Rambler, and what a good idea to add them to the shop. I find they last well too. Perhaps I should do the same.
      Good luck for yellow roses next time!

      Delete
  9. It's easy to feel overwhelmed, these days, isn't it? I'm sorry to hear that your husband is in so much pain and there's nothing much that can be done to help him. It sounds like you've been doing lots of frugal things, however, and I'm glad that you have managed to find several things to be thankful for. Continue to look for those bright spots in life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx