Sunday 2 August 2020

No Food In The House???


Somehow this week I have taken my eye off the ball regarding food planning so this morning, when I examined the contents of fridge and freezer for our Sunday lunch, I  found very little.   No meat for G, no ready meals, no vegetarian alternative protein either.  After speaking to my daughter, she came up with a cunning plan (remember Black Adder? ......lol )  A rummage in the bottom of the fridge produced 3 small carrots and a red onion so G was despatched to the allotment pronto to pick the first runner beans and dig up a few potatoes.  I parboiled the sliced potatoes and sliced carrots until almost tender then piled everything into a dish (except potatoes) threw in a handful of our homegrown frozen broadbeans, then topped it all with the spuds and about 3/4 pint of cheese sauce. Some grated cheese on top, then into a hot oven for 30 mins......not only delicious but we have enough left for tomorrow too.



Whilst that was cooking, I made some crumble topping to put on top of homegrown stewed rhubarb mixed with some frozen homegrown blackcurrants i found in the freezer.  30 mins in the oven produced two crumbles, big enough to share with the last scrapings of ice cream from the tub.  That's tomorrow's meal, sorted as well then ;)  It will have to be packet custard with the crumble though.....





The food delivery isn't coming until Wednesday afternoon so Tuesday will have to be baked beans and chips for tea. Another easy meal.

Earlier in the week we decided to treat ourselves to a bench for the back garden.  Sometimes its just too hot to sit on the patio in the full sun and there is a lovely shady spot next to the shed. So...a new bench was collected from Ashwood Nurseries.  It was a flat pack but G assembled it in no time and gave it a coat of varnish to protect it.  Its got a lovely curved back right by the bit of the spine in the lower back where we need it most.  I have been taking my early morning mug of tea outside to drink sitting on the new bench.  The lights along the shed are battery powered and cost the princely sum of £5.



Thats all my news right now....

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

13 comments:

  1. Your meals look delicious! That's a really nice new bench, too. That coat of varnish will really protect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those sort of meals. It looks delicious. The bench looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum was always a wizard at making meals out of nothing, I'm glad to see some one else having the same skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hotpot style meals. You've proven a meal can be put together quite simply. I keep saying I'm going to live out of the freezer which is rammed with meat and fish. I think that's a challenge for September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh a September challenge like that sounds good to me :)

      Delete
  5. You are a witch! Magic food. Love the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a meal that seems to appear out of nothing, and you managed a two course meal with leftovers, brilliant.

    We always have crumble with ice-cream when the crumble is hot and then with custard when the crumble is cold, it's that mix of hot and cold that is just so tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hot & cold thing is great isn't it Sue. Cold crumble with hot custard is tonight!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Marlene, we are slowly getting things how we like them :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx