Wednesday 22 January 2020

New Home News!

Six weeks ago to the day, we finally moved into our new home.  We picked up the keys on the Monday, having staged a sit in at the site office when our solicitor transferred our money to the developer and they kept saying it hadn't reached their account.  There was NO way I was leaving the office before getting the keys!  Anyway, we did finally get them just as it was getting dark so just opened up, checked that everything was ok and left the cleaning until the next day when the white goods; the fridge/freezer and washer/dryer were being delivered.  This gave me plenty of time on the Tuesday to Dettol-spray the kitchen, clean floors, windows etc and move a bit of the boxed up stuff into the house and to try to work out where to put everything.  The main problem is that the kitchen is about a third of the size of the one we left behind :/  but I'll explain all that in another post.....

Wednesday dawned reasonably dry and the removals van arrived early.  DD and G went to the new house to supervise the unloading while I stayed behind to clear up as the men loaded the van.  I vacuumed, polished and sprayed as they cleared each room, shed a tear as I locked up, and braced myself for the next stage of our retirement.....

The new home

Building work is still going on at the rear so this is the view into the back garden.  I LOVE the French doors which will come into their own in the Summer and, as this view is South facing, we might save a lot on heating bills....



The tiny garden is a bit of an odd shape. It slopes down to the left quite steeply (supposedly 1 in 15 but I'm not sure it's not more than that )  We intend putting a shed for garden stuff to the bottom right and a tree of some sort, perhaps a Rowan in the bottom left.  This will fill the space, help to drain any water and give us something pretty to look at from the living room.....


G managed to snap up this plastic storage box from work for half price as it had a bit missing.  He's replaced the missing bit and it's now perfect for more storage ( which we desperately need as we don't have a garage)….


As you can see, we brought our Shirley Valentine table and chairs with us, as well as a few pots, and we're really looking forward to eating breakfast on the patio during the warmer weather.


I have been busy sorting out the household budget, moving us straight away onto a cheaper tariff for gas and electricity (the temporary one was on an extortionate rate per unit: a total of over £54 for the first 10 days) We have now agreed a figure for monthly direct debit for both fuels with a much cheaper rate for both standing charge and cost per unit. Phew :/

One thing which concerns me is that we have 3 of these little guys......


There is one in the downstairs cloakroom, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.  They are all set to extract air on a constant trickle and boost themselves up if they detect moisture but, although I can see the value of having them, how much are they going to cost to run?  Do you have any experience of these things anyone?  I have begun to turn them off overnight at the isolation switches.  Should I be doing that ?

Anyway, that's all for now.  I made quorn cottage pie yesterday for tea and there is enough left for tea tonight too, with veggies and gravy added.  G is out for his walk so I'm off for a read with my feet up!

Stay safe everyone wherever you happen to be x

24 comments:

  1. I love that you are moved in to your new home and it sounds like a good move. I like the idea of moving but it sounds like too much work for me, as I am a widow. Your French doors will be a plus and your table and chairs will get a lot of use in warmer weather. Congrats on the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard work, Terra, and I certainly couldn't face it alone. Thank you so much for your kind comments :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your move. That must be a huge relief. It sounds like you have everything very clean and organized. It's so nice to sit out on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! I have been waiting for this post to find out how you are getting on.
    How dreadful that you had to stage a sit in to get your keys but at least now you are in and you can begin to enjoy life in your new home.....Congratulations :)
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new home! My daughter’s just moved into a new build and has these extractors. She has turned the downstairs loo one off. The constant whirring is a bit annoying when you don’t always need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann, I agree with your daughter, the whirring can get on my nerves a bit. the kitchen one is turned off until I begin cooking now ;)

      Delete
  5. How lovely you are finally in. I think a new build and garden is a blank canvas so you can enjoy making it a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, janipi, we intend doing things a bit at a time when money (and energy levels!) allow.

      Delete
  6. Far less water goes into new builds now then ever before with dry lined walls. I had trickle vents in the windows in the new build I bought in 2010. It's a safe guard for people who dont ventilate their homes properly, who dry washing I doors etc. If you open windows (after a bath) and doors (after cooking) regularly they are not needed (in my opinion). Glad your move went ok. I also switched my fans off in the cloakroom and bathroom because it was proven that the motor used by builders was useless. Put a piece of toilet paper near the outlet and see if it can hold it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no opening windows in either bathroom or downstairs loo so I can see the value of having them in our case. I will, however, try the paper test later!

      Delete
  7. Wishing you every happiness in your new home, can't help you with the extractors never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck in your lovely new home. I hope you'll be very happy - once you've got your bits&bobs in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mrs LH, I do value your good wishes :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your move. I'm looking forward to reading more about life in your new home. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules, I will try posting on a more regular basis once we get proper broadband sorted x

      Delete
  10. Lovely news - good luck in your new home, hope you get settled in soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely to hear that you're IN at last! I'm a frsh air freak - my back door is open to the garden most of the day unless the rain is in the wrong direction; I open all windows regularly and always have my bedroom window open at night - so I don't think I would bother with those little extractors. Hope you soon feel 'at home' and settled in your new house and garden. Yes, I look forward to seeing photos as you make it yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rambler. I love fresh air too and I open windows whenever I can, even for a short time on a frosty morning :) I intend to post regularly for those who wish to see what we are up to!

      Delete
  12. May you have many happy times together in your new home. x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx