Friday 11 May 2018

Walk With Me

It's quite cool and windy today but I took a walk around our little garden to see if anything is growing yet.  There's not much colour, everything just looks green now that the pots of daffodils and tulips have finished flowering....


The Photinia Red Robin is the only bit of colour...


But my lilies are coming on a treat.  I need to keep checking for lily beetles though, I already found and squished one at the weekend....


OOh...tatties!! (jumps up and down with joy) My illicit potatoes (Rocket) have shown their faces so need earthing up.....



I LOVE peonies and these are growing fast....


Already buds are forming...


And there are two big flower spikes on the Lupins...


These leeks were popped in last year and are at last starting to thicken, but whoops I must have missed some potatoes last year because I certainly didn't put any in this pot!  I'll leave them anyway and see what happens....


Last year's strawberries seem to have regenerated so I'm hopeful of a few luscious berries when the warm weather settles.  Isn't it ludicrous that we have to hide a few edibles amongst plants.  Illicit veg is a no no :(


I picked up this lovely pot of tulips a week ago.  They had already gone over but I loved the colour and the stripy leaves so they were a snip at £1.  The pot alone could cost that.  If I snip off the heads they will come back next year....


 
What's coming up in your garden?
 
It's the craft fair tomorrow so I'll be back with an update to my challenge.
 
Take care everyone and enjoy your weekend x

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed walking around your garden. I have squished six lily beetles so far and am constantly on the lookout for them. In my border I have pretty pink flowered strawberries and I have planted nine sweetcorn in the border at the front of my house. They are flying away as they get full sun and shelter in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily beetles are horrid little pests, aren't they. Sweetcorn..mmmm...I bet it will be luscious Cherie.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely stroll admiring the beauty of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the lily beetle you're talking about red? I've been dealing with them for three years now. I had beautiful lilies in all colours but once the beetle showed up they've been pathetic. I was thinking I would just dig them out this year but I don't even see them coming up so maybe the beetles won and they are no more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Janice, they are. Although perfectly easy to spot they drop off the plant when you try to catch them and multiply like mad. Hubby has tried to solve the problem by only growing lilies in pots. Last year he took them up and washed every bit of soil off the bulbs under the outside tap, then potted them up in fresh compost. It has helped enormously as you can see from the photo but we still have to be on high alert. Perhaps try digging yours up and washing them if there is still any bulbs left? I do hope so x

      Delete
    2. Oops, should be ARE any bulbs left!

      Delete
    3. My girlfriend had an amazing display of lilies. That's where I got all my cuttings from years ago. The red beetles absolutely decimated hers and she had to dig them all up and throw them away. That was the garden centres advice and they said they weren't selling them until this red beetle 'epidemic' was taken care of. Still no sign of my plants here and they should have been up by now!

      Delete
    4. Oh what a shame, Janice, that's so disappointing for you :(

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx