Tuesday 26 September 2017

A Century Reached

Today is my Mum's birthday.  She would have been 100 years old and I got to thinking how the world must have changed since 26th September 1917 when she was born.



 In many ways the changes are for the better:

Free healthcare,
Better housing,
Guaranteed old age pensions,
Washing Machines,
Cars
Television, for example
I'm sure you can all add much more to the list....

But I feel that some changes are for the worse. There can be a loss of community spirit with an 'every man for himself' attitude in some places.  We are far more mercenary in attitude whereas our parents never bought anything new unless the old item was broken.  Credit was shameful to them and my Dad worked long hours to keep us in a decent council house with coal for the fire and food to eat.  Holidays were few and far between and every penny was stretched until it squeaked.

Thank you Mum for passing on your knowledge to me and my siblings.  As a pensioner now myself I have sifted through my inherited frugal mindset to give me a sense of being able to cope come what may....
 I Love You Mum
xxx
Sleep Tight
 
Have a lovely day folks wherever you happen to be xx
 
 
 




3 comments:

  1. I sometimes wonder at the technical changes your Mum would have seen in her first 50 years (let alone the second).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame that the community spirit appears to be lost. Fortunately when their is a disaster such as the towers people still rally round. So many changes and advancements with technology I struggle with that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same thought's, the whole world changed around them. You are right it's not all for the better.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx