Friday 16 January 2015

Draw Winner & The Reason I Don't Eat Meat

As I only had two people interested in receiving my Meet The Ancestors book I decided to just toss a coin to decide the winner.

Heads: Cornish Chickpea
Tails: Pam

To make it fair OH did the flipping of the coin so well done CORNISH CHICKPEA. 

 

Please pm me with your address and I'll post it off to you.


Reading other blogs with all the lovely winter meaty recipes got me thinking about why exactly I don't eat meat.  I can't call myself vegetarian because I do eat a little fish and I used to eat meat when I was a child but even then I ate just a small amount;  the first crispy slice from a beef joint, a slice of chicken breast, a pork sandwich, a crispy bacon butty.  When the children were small and we had very little money I ate even less.  I would buy some for the family and just have a plate of veggies for myself quickly realising that I didn't miss meat at all. I also think that if you kill a living thing to eat it you shouldn't waste any of it.  My Dad used to say that the only bit of a pig which wasn't used was it's grunt which, in my view, is as it should be.  I simply can't face some cuts of meat or offal so it's only fair that I don't expect an animal to give up it's life for me.  Handbags & purses I buy are never made from leather as there is no need. The alternatives are perfectly acceptable.  However, I do wear leather shoes as I believe the leather comes as a by product of the food industry anyway and unsupportive footwear give me pain in my feet.  Hypocrytical? Perhaps.... I refuse to condemn anyone for being a carnivore but, equally, I expect people to allow me my own viewpoint. My family understand and make allowances for me but I do find problems with some pubs or restaurants who don't cater with veggie gravy, for example.

How about you? Any more veggies out there? Does anyone else encounter a problem with eating out either in a restaurant or someone else's home?

Thanks, as usual, for popping in to see me x

9 comments:

  1. Quite right, you are everyone is entitled to there own views,well done to Cornish Chickpea, have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello PP, came across your blog via Sue at frugal in Suffolk and most pleasing it is to so if you don't mind I'll stick around awhile.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! John, hello! I've seen you visiting other blogs and you are very welcome on mine too. Hope you continue to enjoy it :)

      Delete
  3. I quite agree everyone is entitled to their own view. I used to be a vegetarian in my teens & eat very little meat no. My eldest son always fritters between being veggie or not but husband & youngest son will always be committed carnivores. Do you know I'd never given veggie gravy a thought when eating out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They often put meat juices into gravy and I can always taste the difference :-(
      I had a meal at our local pub just before Christmas (nut roast and veg) and it was served dry! I simply couldn't eat it which was a waste too.

      Delete
  4. Yay thank you Pensive Pensioner, will email you my address. Yes myself and two sons have been vegetarian for over 20 years. I enjoyed eating meat, so it wasn't that I didn't like it, we became vegetarians for ethical and environmental reasons. I think it has got a lot easier to eat out as a veggie, but often the veggie option isn't very imaginative. I was given a risotto for a works xmas meal once! (and charged the same)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that veggie meals are always simple yet expensive. Don't they want to attract veg eaters? I does make me a bit cross sometimes...

      Delete
  5. I like to eat vegetarian when I get the chance.. but I'm married to a resolute carnivore. Since there's only the two of us, it would be a catering nightmare to cut out meat all the time. However I do slip in meat free meals when I think he isn't paying attention! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx