Sunday 25 August 2019

It's Life, Jim, But Not As We Know It

I might be quoting Startrek's Mr Spock in the wrong context here but, boy, life is changing quicker than you can quote the above phrase.

Has anyone noticed how empty the supermarket shelves seem to be getting?  Their value ranges seem to be getting harder to find each week.  For example, we like Sainsbury's basics pineapple pieces.  Costing 35p a tin, we eat it on breakfast cereal with a dollop of live yogurt on top or with a scoop of ice cream for a dessert.  They haven't had any on the shelves for weeks so I was surprised and pleased to be able to snag 3 tins yesterday....



Milk was a different matter.  I normally buy 4 pints of skimmed red top which lasts us 4 or 5 days but yesterday I was shocked to find hardly any milk on the shelves at 11am.  NO one pint, 2 pint or 4 pint of either skimmed or semi skimmed milk at all.  There were a few whole milk and some 4 pint cartons of 1% fat orange top.  I had never bought it before but we don't like whole milk so orange top it had to be.  It actually tastes much the same as skimmed but what on earth happened.  Delay in delivery? No staff to stock up the shelves? Change of supplier? What?


I have a feeling they would have sold out completely by noon.  And lots of other shelves were also half empty.  It can't just be the 'B' word ….can it??

Our house move is getting more complicated too.  We have discovered that the development has a management company to manage the green spaces (the council, apparently, has decided it's a good idea to disown the green spaces and let someone else pay to mow the grass) At the moment the annual fee is set at £111 but we have no idea how the figure was arrived at nor by how much it will increase annually.  Our solicitor is checking this and finding out if a contingency fund is being set up so that we don't end up with an enormous bill at some point in the future, for example, when the play area needs renewing. Why is life getting so complicated......

On a happier note, I'm going to spent a couple of hours crafting now.  The kettle is on...oh, and I made another £10 on eBay this week from a craft sale...yay!

It's roasting here today so enjoy the sun if you have it.

Stay safe everyone and thanks for popping in x

6 comments:

  1. I popped to our local Co-op yesterday and they had no semi skimmed milk, and low on all the 2 pint containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been shopping for a few days so I don't know what it's been like at the Tesco I go to.
    I tell you what I have noticed though is their thinning down of what they stock now. The tinned fruit section is half of what it used to be as is the sauces and pickles section. So if I want pickled beetroot I now only have a couple of choices but if I wanted gin they stock about twenty different kinds. It drives me crazy....lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably because of the hot weather. Last timecitcwas warm they only brought out small amounts of milk. The freezer aisles were shut off completely. Do you think they are following in the steps of Lidl/Aldi with less choice lower prices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie, it has been like this in our Asda for a few weeks now sometimes there are several gaps, and I have noticed it on fruit and veg a lot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our supermarket has been like this for a while now and I often struggle to get hold of even the most basic items. Very annoying. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are able to find what you want at the grocery store. I haven't run into that here, but I'm all the way in California. I plan to do some stockpiling for winter. My mom used to keep extra milk in the freezer...I keep some frozen for my soap making. (goat's milk ice cubes.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx