Thursday 22 August 2019

A Lovely Day & A Moral Dilemma

Well, we had a lovely day on Monday.  I got to DD's in plenty of time for her to go off to her hospital appointment, the GC greeted me enthusiastically :)  GD made a mug of tea for me and a hot chocolate for herself and her brother and we curled up to watch Mamma Mia - Here We Go Again on TV.   It was a wonderful couple of hours of pure relaxation.  DD returned just after noon and made us all toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.  Simple, delicious food shared with a loving family, who could ask for more :)

Yesterday, G and I encountered a moral dilemma.  In town we were approached by a woman who appeared in some distress.  She said she had just walked out on her partner and needed to get to her mum's in Birmingham.  She had very little money (£3 she said) and just the clothes she stood up in (kind of leisure, housework, lounging type clothes) she was slightly unkempt looking but swore she didn't take drugs, she just needed to get to her mum who would take her in.  She said the train fare was £6.90 and she didn't have enough money and could we help.  My heart wouldn't let me risk this not being a scam. G and I looked at each other and, as I reached for my purse he pulled out his money. I gave her my last £5 note praying inwardly that she wouldn't use it to get a fix.  Did I do the right thing do you think?

On the allotment front, we have (well G did ;)  dug up the last potatoes, pulled the most enormous onions for drying and storing, pulled up the last spring onions (also jumbo sized), the last carrots and chard too.  G is planting lots of leeks because they tend to be expensive and we love them in veg stews and leek and potato soup.  More lettuce is growing nicely both on the allotment and in a tub to pick at home.  We have shared our produce with neighbours and it's a lovely feeling :)

Time now to begin cooking our evening meal.  Stay safe wherever you are in the world and thanks so much for popping in x

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes people who need help are put in our path in what I call a God moment, so yes, I think you did the right thing by giving the lady money. You did a good deed, the next step is her choice. You and G are growing a fabulous assortment of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience I find that there are some who appear clearly in genuine need and there are some who are obviously not. But what about the ones that it is not so evident either way? Give the benefit of the doubt. 50% of the time you might wrong but 50% of the time you might be right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did the right thing. The young lady might be pulling a scam but just supposing she was genuinely in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a hard decision to make and I don't envy you making it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having worked with the homeless and disadvantaged for a few years our rule was never to give them cash but to take them to the bus/train station and buy them a ticket on the bus or train. It is so difficult to assess a situation like this so you did what you felt was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I offer them; I will buy the actual ticket, or I will buy them an actual meal, but I will NOT hand over cash. 99.999% of the time they get angry or try to argue for cash and I walk away...

      Delete
  6. A similar thing happened to us a few years ago. We were approached by a young man who said he needed to get his pregnant partner to hospital but had no petrol. He seemed very flustered so we gave him petrol money. I don't know if his story was true but sometimes you just have to do what you think is right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's hard to know for sure. I generally donate to the food pantry, because I know they provide food to the homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A difficult decision to make. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Difficult one I follow my heart. x
    I have changed my blog name Angie.
    Have a good weekend
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard to know what to do. I think you just have to go with your instinct and hope it was right.
    The idea of buying them a train or bus ticket is a very good one although I'm not sure that I would think of it at the time.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always always follow your heart. I know you did the right thing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx