Monday 24 September 2018

Brrr...Get Ready For Autumn



photo from Google
 

Brrr...it's chilly this morning.  The central heating thermostat is set at 13 degrees and it clicked itself on at 7.30am this morning, a sure sign that it is indeed officially Autumn.  Half an hour of heat has warmed us up enough to get out of bed without shivering :)  And the sun is out now so, hopefully, it will warm up a bit before we go out to do the 'big' food shop.

The thicker duvet has been put back on the bed, the LPG tank was topped up last week (£57.34 so not a shock thanks to the hot summer) and the boiler serviced (£65)  Our bill for 6 months electricity dropped on the mat last week too so another £269.16 left our account, but that should be it for the rest of the month then it's just council tax by direct debit in early October.  My budget calculations seem to have worked out pretty well and there might even be a bit of a surplus at the end of the year but I don't want to jinx it by being too confident.
 
Has anyone seen the Halfords offer of a free MOT with any purchase?  I found out from the Martin Lewis website.  I bought a chamois demister pad for £1, thinking that there was no way I would qualify with such a small purchase but, several days later, I received an email containing a code to input in an online booking. Voila! Free MOT booked for end of November!  I hope it doesn't mean that they will try to find something wrong so that I have to pay them something but my car is 8 years old (never failed before) so its' a possibility.  I'll let you know how it goes....

The craft fair 2 weeks ago was very slow, hardly any footfall at all, and takings of just £7  but I have another coming up in 2 weeks time so intend to have a bit more Christmas stock just in case people are more in the mood by October ;)  I take comfort in the fact that other stallholders had disappointing sales too, it wasn't just me.

Anyway, I'm off to check cupboards, fridge and freezer and make a proper shopping list.  We will need comforting food soon I'm sure, and there's a budget to stick to!

Stay safe everyone, wherever you happen to be.  I need to catch up with reading my favourite blogs.  I've missed so much...

Thanks everso for popping in x

13 comments:

  1. Lovely to have you back Pensive .
    Yes Autumn days are back - warm , comfort food to prepare and enjoy .
    Christmas only 3 months and needing to watch the pennies!
    Love Pankhurst .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pankhurst :)
      Yes, Christmas to prepare for now. I LOVE Christmas!

      Delete
  2. We have our heavier quilt back on, not yet used the heating, but the mornings are colder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heating is set at 16 and I was sure it would kick in but it didn't. The gall thermostat said 17.5 but it felt colder. I still have the summer quilt on the bed with a blanket on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, the temp went down to 6 degrees last night and dropping further tonight in our area :/

      Delete
  4. Definately chilly here in Scotland - 6deg last night apparently. Still using the summer duvet but added a blanket on top, and wearing pj's. When i woke up today there were also 3 cats on top - they must be feeling the change in temperature too! Clocks go back this w/end.. yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the cats made all the difference...lol...Gosh, forgot about the clocks Thrifty. It makes the mornings darker doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. We have been lighting the stove but it won't be long before the heating is switched on. Such a shame about the footfall of the craft fair, it makes you wonder if there is enough advertising for the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the craft fair, we just can't work out why so few people show up. It's on social media, in the village mag and on leaflets and posters everywhere. Perhaps we should try afternoons instead of mornings.
      You haven't had such a hot dry summer as us MM, so you deserve a milder winter...fingers crossed x

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm so sorry your craft fair was a let down. So disappointing isn't it?
    We've had the heating on a few times over the last week or so as the mornings and evenings have got lovely and chilly.....just how I like them.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the cooler nights (even though sleep for G can still be elusive)as I can hunker down under the duvet. The sun is out at the moment and it's very pleasant :) x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx