Sunday 1 July 2018

What a Scorcher! and Blue Eggs

Oh boy, has this week been a scorcher. I remember Sir Terry Wogan saying that everyone complained it was too cold and we needed some sun, then as soon as it warmed up the cry was 'it's too hot for me!'  Well, Sir Terry, it is!  I simply cease to function at a reasonable level once the thermometer reaches above 22 degrees.  The only way I can survive is to close the blinds or curtains on the sunny side, open windows and doors on the cool side and stay indoors until early evening when we get a blissful breeze in the back garden and I can sit and read in comfort.  It's already too hot now at 11.30am and no sign of any letup.  I seem to be drinking gallons of ice cold water and eating fruit and salad almost exclusively.  We could really do with a gentle rainfall now as the grass has turned to straw.  Our strawberries, however, are lush :)

I'm finding sleep hard to come by too, what with the heat and OH's restless head next to me.  BTW I've decided to refer to OH by his initial G from now on.  It seems less impersonal and he deserves recognition after all he is coping with, I think.  How are you coping? Do you like the heat or loathe it?

Yesterday, I answered the door to find my lovely neighbour, J, holding a gift for us, some Blue Eggs! I have never seen any, much less eaten them so it was a lovely treat.  I hard boiled one to have with salad and it was delicious.  The taste was no different to a normal brown or white egg but the yolk was deep yellow and gorgeous.  I'll be having an egg and cress sandwich for lunch today as G is at work until teatime....



Anyone know what breed of chickens lays blue eggs please?

Oh, I want to give a big welcome to Veronica, my new follower...hello!

I have been having a measure of success in my Stash to Cash challenge by selling on fleabay this last week.  The challenge has been really tough going but I intend to stick it out for the rest of this year, not least because I am keeping the cash on one side for Christmas...sorry! I'll whisper the word... Christmas....


anyway, I'll carry on.  My stash is reducing in size (although my makes are growing) and during the week I had a sort out and gave a big box of oddments of card, pretty paper, embellishments and stickers etc to one of my neighbours for her Granddaughters to craft with.  She was looking after the youngest on Friday and needed something for her to do.  Like her older sister, the little one loves to craft and I'm all for encouraging the young to have a go.  My stash boxes are now lighter and tidier, and I found more stuff I had forgotten about...woohoo

I have items on fleabay which close today so I'll update my total tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day everyone and thanks so much for popping in x

12 comments:

  1. My mother in law used to keep Arauncana chickens just because their eggs were blue. She loved her birds and had some bantams that laid eggs that were almost lilac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Blue eggs, never heard of them or seen them. I'm coping with the weather by having all the doors and windows open so the sea breeze fills the house right the way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, what I wouldn't do for a sea breeze right now! How lucky to have the sea on your doorstep :)

      Delete
  3. Hate the heat as it affects my breathing. Blue eggs! Some ducks lay blue eggs, but may be your other commentor is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awful for you Jill. My DD and GC suffer hayfever and heat makes them feel worse. Let's hope it lets up soon. A lovely drop of gentle rain wouldn't go amiss.

      Delete
  4. I'm not loving this heat either. I think if it rained I'd go and stand out it....naked....lol.
    I've seen blue eggs before but haven't a clue which chickens lay them.
    Hope your fleabay sales are good for you.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standing in the rain naked sounds very tempting at the moment, Sheila! I don't think our neighbours would be impressed though....lol...go girl!! Xx

      Delete
  5. I have never come across blue eggs before either. Hopefully fleabay will help with those sales. I am thinking about Christmas too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me thinking of the C word! I realise that you make some wonderful gifts, MM, so need an early start. I just want to have a bit of cash ready for the early gift bargains x

      Delete
  6. Araucana, Cotswold Legbar, there are several hybrid breeds which lay blue, bluey green, lavender or khaki coloured eggs. They look lovely, but as you say, they taste the same as others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Athene, just what I wanted to know :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx