Sunday 1 October 2017

It's October! Foodie Post

Thank you all so much for your comments on my last 2 posts. It seems that many of you can't help but notice the price hikes in the shops either and I can't see things stabilising in the foreseeable future.  A lot of belt tightening to come, I think....

Today is October 1st and the good news is that my food spends have stayed just within budget this month (12p left)
I have checked my store cupboard and freezer and still have the makings of:

Evening
Sausage casserole (slow cooker),
HM veg curry (I have never made one from scratch before so it will be a bit hit and miss!)
Quorn fajita wraps.
A few frozen prawns which OH can have smothered in Marie Rose sauce on a baked potato
 so potentially 5 evening meals if the sausage casserole serves OH twice.

Lunches
 Leek & potato soup (twice)
Cheese on toast
Baked potato with baked beans
Sandwiches (egg perhaps)

My tasks this morning have been prepping sausage casserole for OH tonight......
 
 
2 sliced onions and 6 browned sausages (cut into chunks when brown)

 
 I only had 2 carrots left....


A jar of sauce 86p (I haven't bought this before so I hope it will be ok)
 
 



All put into the slow cooker to work it's magic. It should give hubby 2 good portions.  It might need more liquid but I'll see how it goes as it cooks.  As you know, slow cookers tend to create steam which adds to the liquid level anyway.  I'll let you know how it tastes in another post....
 



There were just 2 leeks left so soup is now bubbling away for my lunch and there should be plenty left for tomorrow....
 

 
Monday is' big shop' day so I need to get fresh salad stuff, veggies, fruit, some fish and not much else I hope :/
October needs to be a frugal month too. If I can spend as little as possible at the beginning of the month I might be able to keep some cash in reserve towards Christmas food.

Have a lovely day everyone and thanks so much for popping in x

8 comments:

  1. I am going to tighten the belt for several months now, I shall be doing a yellow sticker shop later and I have an approved foods order coming next week and then I am going to have a £50 month budget until January. Its amazing how food can be stretched if we all try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly Marlene, I don't think I could manage on £50 per month. Go you! Please blog how you do it, I would love to follow your journey xx

      Delete
  2. You have some delicious and wholesome meals planned there. I love a good soup at this time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. The soup was delish at lunchtime :)

      Delete
  3. Prices have gone up so much it worries me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a worry, isn't it, particularly if you are on a low or fixed income. Take care x

      Delete
  4. You have some amazing food planned, I am a fan of soup all year around too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MM. Soup is always welcome on a cold day here x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx