Sunday 17 September 2017

Christmas Thoughts

It really does feel like Autumn this morning.  Last night was very chilly indeed but the sun is trying to break through....fingers crossed :)

Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post.  It was so nice to have 'get well' wishes, I just hope I didn't come across as feeling self pitying :/



Yesterday, my thoughts turned to Christmas. Yay! I love Christmas! But not the expense :(
Last year I had some cash from selling my handmade cards to a local shop.  This year I have precisely....zilch....so my thoughts turned to ways of buying gifts for points not cash. I know I have Nectar points as I haven't spent any since last Christmas (well, post Christmas actually as I tried to eke them out as long as possible in January 2017) as well as some Boots points which I have been saving up.  I don't spend extra to get these points I just maximise the ones available.  For example, Sainsbugs have been offering extra points for a set number of card swipes in a given time so whenever near the store I buy a couple of items I need from there.  It's usually 8 swipes in 4 weeks so that's 2 per week and fuel purchases count too. I only buy items the same price or cheaper than elsewhere too, otherwise it's a bit pointless (lol....please excuse the pun, I couldn't resist it!)  So I have:

Nectar £25.61
Boots (as yet unknown)
M & S (ditto)

I also have a sealed pot to be opened in November

DD and I usually go Chrissie shopping the first week in November so I need to have a good think how to fund it this year. We have new babies to buy for this year too but I just want to put cash in a card for them.  I don't want to start having to choose gifts which might be totally unsuitable.  I'll start as I mean to go on.  We don't buy gifts for many adults in the family.  There is DD's family of 4, my brother and sister in law, and token gifts to 2 neighbours and a young couple we know. 

Perhaps I can make some stocking fillers again this year.

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? Lists done? Bought anything?

Have a wonderful Sunday x

14 comments:

  1. We have been saving points for Christmas, Sainbugs from purchase of fuel. Co-op now give money back. Our spare cash jar we did not change up for notes, I see Tesco has a change machine, if you use the amount deposited to shop in store they do not take any commission, so we have about £100 for Christmas food ect. Like you we are planning to keep cash out of our bank account as low as we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I didn't know Tesco has a commission free change machine Marlene. I must check out our local branch to see if they have one. That would be really useful as I have a jar full of copper as well as my sealed pot. I could get some gifts from there. Thank you for that :) x

      Delete
  2. I have made a few bits and pieces and have shopped the sales. Such a good idea to use the point cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have cut down on my gift buying list this year which will also cut down on a lot of stress. I have a few stocking fillers tucked away already as they were bought on our Summer holiday. It's great idea to use your points cards. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can all get a bit much, can't it Jules. Well done for getting ahead! x

      Delete
  4. We cut down what we buy others years ago, and now we have cut down what we buy each other, the boys have a set amount each, they can choose cash or gifts, their choice, so my Christmas is generally really easy, just the way I like it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are cutting right down this year on everything, but we will still enjoy it just the same.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pleasure of Christmas is about family really Marlene. I love it x

      Delete
  6. Daughter and her husband are off abroad on 23rd December. Hubby and I will spend the day together at home eating some beautiful food which in no way resembles Christmas dinner! We make a donation to a charity which will benefit people in our area ( food bank and roughsleepers project) and I will make a few cards. I am currently sewing gifts for friends' grandchildren and that's our Christmas sorted. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful Christmas, the charity donation is especially kind Catriona x

      Delete
  7. I start thinking about Christmas at the drop of a hat...lol.
    There may be no doing but there is certainly some brain work and some list making going on.....ooooh I did pick up some beautiful stickers for Ruby's crafting themed gifts this year so I have officially started the shopping.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, Sheila, I like a good list! They help no-end to control spending x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx