Monday 22 May 2017

Holiday Woes and Growing Things

Hello all (waves as she comes in) today so far has been a stunner weather wise.  Our holiday was almost a total washout, just two sunny days and the rest wet and windy :/ However, we did manage to breathe in some lovely fresh sea air and ate pasties on the quayside, ice creams too, so not a total disaster :)

Thank you everyone for your comments on my last post.  Real books, it seems, win out for enjoyment every time with kindle having it's place only when travelling.  I got through two whole books during the 9 days we were away; one 'real' book and one kindle one.  Rainy days make me feel less guilty about sitting reading for hours on end.  The biggest problem with the wet weather was where to go each day so we did more eating out than we would have liked.

One favourite was taking the ferry (£4 each return) to Rock where we ate delicious fish cakes in the Rock Inn. It wasn't cheap @ £13.95 each but the meal was soooo delicious and the two salmon and cod fishcakes filled us up until evening when we had just half a HM sarnie each ......


On the first Sunday, it was deceptively sunny and we sat eating ice cream and basking in the glow at Padstow harbour (sigh) ......

 
Padstow

 
 
 
Rock Beach
 


 
 
Rock at low tide

 


At home there was a touch of frost on more than one occasion which, luckily, hasn't stunted the growth of my potatoes.....


But it did affect my illicit strawberries by taking off all the little flowers which were ready to form the fruit.....



Other shrubs were unlucky too, both the Camellia and Rhododendron were decimated......


But the Lupins survived....Hooray!


And so did the Peonies...yay!



Now I just need to fetch in my lovely, freshly line-dried washing (shame I have to iron it...hmmm)

A big welcome to my new followers Lee and Mary, it's lovely to 'meet' you :)

Thanks everso for popping in x




2 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed your time away. Lovely pictures of Rock and Padstow. I think it should be a rule that you must have ice-cream and/or a pasty whilst sat in a harbour. Your meal at the Rock Inn looks delicious. Well worth the money I would say.
    It's a shame about the plants which suffered damage but your potatoes seem to be growing well. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me think about summer, ice creams and fresh sea air, sounds a wonderful trip xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx