Thursday 26 January 2017

Our NHS, a gripe

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post.  It seems the creeping price increases are not a figment of my imagination but are happening not only across the UK but in Canada too.  I fear this is only the tip of the iceberg....

Welcome manicstamper, it's good to have you join us :)



The bad news is I feel awful.  Maybe I picked up a bug somewhere but I've had a recent cold which is now leaving me.... but leaving me with dizzy spells :(   It's affected my digestion too as I feel quite nauseous most of the time and the feeling kept me awake half the night.  Try as I might I just couldn't drop off until at least 3am.  Consequently, I feel like a wet lettuce today.  I tried to book in to see the local GP and the earliest appointment is on Monday afternoon! What is that all about?  A person could be dead within 4 days!  Our NHS has certainly seen better days :?

How long do you have to wait to see your GP?  Are children given priority?  A sick child could deteriorate very quickly if not seen for 4 days.  What is your experience?

Thanks so much for popping in x

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear Angie poor you, I do hope you get better soon, we have been told that it would take a week before. But then another receptionist says if it is urgent you can ring up in the morning and get one of the special on the day appointments. Get well soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our GPs is pretty dreadful, children and the elderly 3 days the rest of us your looking at 5 weeks after triage by receptionist, other half is supposed to be seen quickly , never happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are looking pretty grim in your area too then Kate. Even 3 days for children is far too long.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the welcome.

    We are very lucky with our GP's and can usually get an appointment the same week. They do hold some back though and tell people to phone at 8am to get in.
    My son and his wife go to a different surgery and they are excellent with children. My grandaughter got a dreadful rash which I recognised as Impetigo, phoned their surgery and she was seen within half an hour. I was very impressed.
    Sounds like you have what I have just had. I hope you get better soon-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lucky you recognised your GD's condition Sheila and well done to the surgery for getting her seen quickly x

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better soon, there are so many variants of the flu going about at the moment. We generally get an appointment the same day we have to phone early morning. There is also a system that we can book on line for reviews and such so we cannot complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it used to work here too MM but not any longer. The GP's seem so pushed to fit everyone in here now.

      Delete
  5. The only advantage of being in town at a big doctors practice is that they have a doctor available for same day if its urgent appointments - amazing! We will be back out to a village doctors soon - fear it will be different there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and forgot to say I hope your lurgy is soon gone

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a wonderful GPs' surgery (there are 3 GPs and a nurse practitioner who can also prescribe). Usually, if you phone in the morning, or even later, one of the GPs will phone you back that day and have a chat to decide whether you need to see them in the surgery. I had my doubts about this system, but overall it works very well, especially when the GPs know the patients well and are aware of their medical histories. And an appointment, if it's urgent, is usually the same day or next day, with less important visits booked for a few days ahead.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know the service is good in some areas at least Margaret.

      Delete
  8. I hope you soon feel much better. Where I live it's pretty good really. If it's urgent you can either see,or speak with someone the same day. X

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx